Here is Pancake with a picture of a full term Spec (and another of Pancake escaping). Finally! 37 weeks is considered full term. Of course, I see no signs of him leaving his “home” anytime soon, but a least when people tell me I am huge I can reply with “Well, I have a full term baby living in there.” The Rogue running pants I have on have been worn every weekend the whole pregnancy I think. I am glad I had some running and yoga stuff I just started wearing as regular clothes. Much more comfortable then jeans.
I continue to mark days off my calendar. Obviously I want Spec out, and I am tired of being uncomfortable, and I also keep tracking the days passing and still being unable to run. Almost 3 weeks now of not running a step. I bike everyday, and got some really good workouts from a friend. I feel my heart rate flying, and finish drenched in sweat, so I hope it is doing as much good as a run would. I also am getting my money’s worth from Netflix instant watch. I hit yoga 2-3 times a week still. Some days are easier than others, but as long as I can keep it up, I figure just tough it out. I was searching for running articles on coming back after a lay off, and found this little interview with Deena Kastor. It is encouraging to read about her coming back from not even being able to ride a bike. Today was a little hard, as it is the 3M half marathon, which I have run many times. I haven’t as much in the last few years because it got really expensive, but once I have the Little Owl, my racing may all have to be close to home, so I may resume it. It was hard to see the signs for it all over town as I limped along all week. Gotta remember though, at least I have PeeWee (my bike).
Kathleen “tagged” me to write about 10 things that make me happy. Of course there are more than 10, and these won’t be the top 10 or anything, just some stuff that happens to come to mind. Kathleen’s blog had lots of pictures of each, but I am not feeling that creative, so here goes my list…
1. Running. How obvious, but I will say a lay off makes me appreciate those simple runs more. I also haven’t done a long run with friends in about 8-9 months, and dragging myself out of bed on a weekend to tour Austin on foot, while we train for a big event, and catch up on each other’s weeks, is something really special when you think about it.
2. My new experiments with Vegan baked goods. Stephanie gave me a vegan baking cookbook to kick off my new hobby, and I just got another one, “Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.” I haven’t liked meat very much while I’ve been pregnant, so I’ve been eating vegetarian and vegan a lot. Trying a new way of baking is fun, and it’s nice to make treats that I know are lower in fat and calories. Today I made Mocha Oatmeal Vegan Cookies. They turned out good, other than me burning 1 batch. I hopefully will be trying a lot more in the next few weeks.
3. Getting a running magazine in the mail. A little thing, but it is great to come home after a long day, open the mailbox, see a new Runner’s World, or Ultrarunning, and know I’ll then spend the evening on the couch reading it.
4. Setting up stuff for Spec. I know he makes me happy, but since he isn’t here yet, and it’s still hard to have a 100% tangible idea of having him here for real, the closest I get is getting all his stuff ready. I like setting up stuff in his room and just being in there, even though he probably will not spend much time in there for several months.
5. Pine trees. I love the smell of pine trees, and I love running/ hiking trails full of pines. Here in Texas that is Bastrop and Huntsville. And Cedar trees do not count! They are evil!
6. Finding a good podcast. I don’t know how I functioned before podcasts. Anytime I have to do a sitting type of activity, I put on a podcast. They get my through a lot of work days. I almost heard every single This American Life. That’s kinda sad….if anyone has any recommendations, I am all ears.
7. The Boston Marathon. Even though it is a circus, expensive, very commercialized, and a logistical pain in the ass, I always seem to want to go back. Not sure if that will work with a baby. First off, I have to start running again, train up to a marathon, get faster, qualify, and then travel with an infant. Hmmm, sounds a little tricky. I may just have to enjoy my memories.
8. Taking vacations with Mike. I guess in the future it will be Mike and Spec, but we always have fun going places that aren’t big resort experiences. We have loved out National Park trips, and have a long list of more we would like to do.
9. Going out for a glass of wine with girlfriends. Another activity that will take a little more planning, but Mike will just have to watch Spec one night. Anyone else in?
10. Naps. Another thing I may not get to do much longer, but who doesn’t love to sleep?
Ok, I am supposed to “tag” other friends. So, if any of y’all have nothing better to put on your blogs, make a list off the top of your head.
Melissa (who is tending to a sick family member, so she may have to pass for now)